On Saturday, my first day in Dusseldorf, I took the Ubahn (tram) over the river to do some shopping. The City centre was heaving with Christmas shoppers, there were decorations as far as the eye could see, and the German markets; I?m not sure what they call them here; lined every street. Now I have noticed that the Germans are very strict about crossing the road, only cross at a marked pedestrian crossing, and only when the green man is showing. However, the streets are crowded, the fear of everyone going feral and crossing the road willy nilly has lead to the dispatch of a small army of orange clad teenagers. They wait at either side of a pedestrian crossing with their arms outstretched as if crucified, preventing anyone passing them, once the lights indicate that it is safe to cross they raise one arm above their head and lower the other whilst marching forward to the centre of the road, thereby allowing everyone to cross safely. Genius.
No comments:
Post a Comment