Tuesday, December 29, 2009

It annoys me when people say "the sun was supposed to shine today"

No post for over a year and this is the best I can come up with?.. the weather...

In the wake of the forecast of a Barbecue Summer, which saw one of the wettest July's on record
The met-office made the long term forecast for the winter of "mild", which has seen the country grind to a halt pre christmas.

telegraph: Warnings of more snow for Britain as predictions of mild winter fall flat

Now as far as I'm concerned its a forecast and so long as you aren't soluble, a bit of rain isn't going to kill you, keep a spare pullover to guard against a cold snap.. I recall the quote: "There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes." *

But the met office are getting a lot of stick for getting it wrong, in my mind its not that they are getting it wrong thats the issue, its that people's expectations are raised.
I think they have it the wrong way around....
if they predict pessimistically, i.e. its going to be a wet and miserable summer, cold and biting winter, etc. then if it comes true, people nod sagely and say well the weatherman was right, bl00dy weather.
If the prediction is wrong everyone chuckles and says "silly weatherman, still lovely weather, pass me another barbecued sausage"
But by making optimistic predictions, everyone feels cheated and ready to lynch the nearest meteorologist. Like they were promised good weather. They are due it.

I realise I'm not going to reverse the public sense of entitlement and people are going to persist in saying "it was supposed to be nice today", but that won't stop me ranting.

The forecast for my blog is: Intermittent.


* in performing my meticulous research for this post I found the internet has numerous sources for this quote, variously Billy Connolly, Ranulph Feinnes, Roald Amundsen, traditional Norwegian, Kathy Sabin (?). Personally I am more inclined towards an alternative: Bill Bowerman (nike man) "There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people.", and of course my old CSM: "Skin's waterproof"

No comments: