It has taken me quite a while to understand German Sundays. I quite liked Sundays in the UK, usually late rising, the guilt at not having gone to church (ever), the guilt at watching two hours of Hollyoaks. And generally by early afternoon, I was human enough venture forth into the world.
The only essential difference I can find in Germany is that no shops open on Sunday. ?Big deal I didn?t want to go shopping anyway? (btw I don?t know where people get their Sunday papers from). But the lack of commerce on the Seventh day seems to prevent the majority of Germans from doing anything. Having been into the deserted city centre on a Sunday I was half expecting to find out that I had missed some four minute warning or something. Certainly the only thing moving on the street was the tumbleweed (but at least it stopped at the crossing and waited for the green man, so I realized not everything was awry).
I went to a bar on a Sunday and the clientele were exclusively ex-pats, not a single pair of leather trousers, mullet or dodgy moustache in sight.
It took Saturday evening in Germany to help me understand Sunday in Germany.
I think there is something trained into the average Briton that closing time is not the latest time you can stay in a pub / club until ? it is the only time you can stay until. No matter what time you arrive, leaving before last orders or some fat necked landlord / bouncer has threatened violence towards you and your family seems somehow wrong. So transplant a Briton into the Altstadt Düsseldorf where there isn?t a legislated closing time and oh dear oh dear. ?It?s 5am and I just got served my 27th pint of whatever hehe!!?, ?Go and get another.?, ?Why?, ?Because you can!? seems to be about par for the course.
Staggering out into the street at dawn on Sunday morning means that you need to sleep for the next 24 hours in order to be arriving at work on time on Monday. So that explains why I feel so bad. But why are all the Germans still locked in their houses. Because the only reason the licensing laws are so relaxed is because the German national sport is ?Laffing at zee stoopit englischers?. So they hang around the bars drinking their weak beer and find the whole thing very amusing. ?Well the last laugh is on you, Fritz, because at least I got tanked up last night. C?mer ya bastad?
No comments:
Post a Comment