The thing about At Cherry Tree Wood, is that it is very quiet, the population is composed of young(ish) professionals and some small young families. The place is bristling with Mercedes and Audi A2s. If you had the inclination to sit staring out of the window, you could count the hourly activity on the fingers of, well, one finger, probably.
There is a sign as you enter the neighbourhood, which indicates that the area is restricted.
This means:
No buses ? ok, we don?t want big smelly buses zooming up and down our residential streets, making it unsafe for the kids to practice their?(remind me to tell you about my Brave New Welt theory).. so no buses, that?s fine.
No taxis! well call me old fashioned, but when I live 3 or so kilometers from the city centre and, okay - let?s say, my Mercedes is being serviced, then I would quite like a taxi to pick me up. Not to mention take me home. I am not sure how this works, whether the taxi driver will take you as far as the edge of the deregulated zone, and then offer a shrug and a ?more than my licence?s worth, Guv.? Leaving you to complete the rest of the journey on foot.
If you were to walk a few streets on from At Cherry Tree Wood, you would find a street named Sturzelburgerstrasse (I kid you not), now this place makes my street look like the M25; they even have a sign to indicate ?No bikes?! It must have been murder living on Sturzelburgerstrasse before this restriction was imposed, think of the idyllic scene one Sunday, everyone out washing their Mercedes, until the silence is shattered by some crazed hooligan riding their bike, with its squeaky crank, up and down the street. I would have to move house.
Spokey-dokes are outlawed throughout Germany!
I have ventured no farther in this direction, for fear of encountering a ?No Nikes? sign and having to make my way home barefoot? on tippy toes? avoiding the cracks in the pavement? and fallen leaves.
No comments:
Post a Comment