Wednesday, April 27, 2005

A Watched Kettle..

Well they say a watched kettle never boils, (though having studied Boyle's Law I don't believe this to be true* **), and I have been watching this particular kettle for two whole days now.

The kettle in question is my email.
Why am I watching it? To see if I have a job.
And so far, its not boiling.

* I realise that Boyle's Law doesn't directly describe state changes
** In thinking about this I have realised why a watched kettle never boils. Imagine a perfectly black kettle whose only energy input is a constant source of white light, in a completely reflective box, eventually all the light will be absorbed by the kettle and it will therefore heat up and eventually boil. Now cut two holes in the box and watch it, some of the light is absorbed in your retina and, heh presto the kettle resolutely refuses to boil, meanwhile you will go blind

read while listening to anything you like

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are such a geek!